8.15.2004

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

I recently took a personality test, specifically the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. It is "the most widely used personality inventory in history," according to the Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc. If it is that widely used, it is possible that I had taken a similar test before and simply forgot about it, or even worse, turned it into a self-fulfilling prophecy! Nevertheless, it always helps to learn things about oneself, no matter how simplistic the process.

According to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, I have an Introverted iNtuition, Extraverted Thinking, Introverted Feeling, and Extraverted Sensing, or INTJ for short. Here's a really pared down analysis:

Introverted iNtuition. INTJs are idea people. They enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems.

Extraverted Thinking. Thinking tends, protects, affirms and directs iNtuition. Thinking argues not so much on its own behalf, but in defense of ideas.

Introverted Feeling. Feeling lends its influence on behalf of causes which are good, worthy, and humane. It may be seen in the unspoken attitude of good will, or the gracious smile or nod.

Extraverted Sensing. Sensing has only a rudimentary awareness of context, amount or degree. Thus INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. Sensing's extraverted attitude is evident in this type's bent to savor sensations rather than to merely categorize them.

I cannot really say if it is all true. I guess I do not know myself that well, or I'm just reluctant to agree with a system of sixteen catchy four-letter acronyms. However, it is a widely used personality inventory, and it should be helpful to know. I guess I'll just file it with the other tests I have taken so far. Understanding without resorting to stereotypes is such an elusive state of mind. Then again, is it possible to understand complexity without simplification, or are we just flattering ourselves in thinking that our personalities are so complex?

2 comments:

punx said...

hey rayms, i also want to take the test. but somehow i cant find the link in the site that would give me the actual test. is it free?

raymond said...

You can either click on the title of the blog entry or try this link: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp. Sometimes, the titles of my blog entries link to some interesting web sites, but I guess not many people have figured it out yet:)