3.28.2005

I've been tagged

Nakanamamboogie! I've been tagged!
I have never been tagged before, so here goes...

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. What book do you want to be?
Farenheit 451 is the temperature that paper starts to burn. In Ray Bradbury's story, the "firemen" did not stop fires, they burned books to discourage independent thought. If I want to make a difference and go in a blaze of glory, I would like to be Charles Darwin's Origin of the Species. However, if I want to effect change yet survive a regular neighborhood book burning, I would like to be a dictionary, pretty harmless by itself yet capable of bringing forth great ideas in the right hands.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
To satisfy the (perverse) curiosity of the one who tagged me, I especially liked Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact. (It also helps that Jodie Foster played her in the cinematic version later on.)

The last book you bought is...
Aldous Huxley's Island

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
1. A survival guide (preferably one written for castaways on deserted islands)
2. A gourmet cookbook for seafood or whatever's edible on a deserted island
3. An entertaining book about the true-to-life experiences of a real castaway, so I won't feel particularly unfortunate.
4. A compendium of different world religions. When I'm not busy chasing crabs and harvesting coconuts, I'll probably wonder about my place in the cosmos.
5. A book on sailing and navigation, just in case I get tired of the seclusion and decide to return to civilization.

What are you currently reading?
Jane Jacobs' The Death and Life of Great American Cities. Why didn't they teach us all this in college?

Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
Yo and Ferdz. They read very curious books.

No comments: