3.23.2005

The Other Metropolis

I have realized that growing up exclusively in Metro Manila has greatly contributed to my ignorance.

I have traveled to different parts of the country, but mostly on short vacations, tours, or site visits. However, I never experienced working for an organization based in another distinct city until I went to Cebu on a teaching assignment.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
That's me in the airport admiring the shiny floor

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
There's the gate lounge and some airport employees amused by a camera-toting pseudo-Japanese tourist

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The plane I thought I would be on until they changed gate assignments at the last minute

Cebu was a pleasant surprise, every bit as urban as Metro Manila minus the traffic and the crowds, more comprehensible in scale as a city, at least an hour away from pristine mountain and shore, and full of nice friendly people.


Not my aerial photo but you get the idea - Cebu City

Unfortunately, I did not get around much since my classes were back to back, but i did manage to sample some of the local food, experience a bit of the relaxed nightlife, drive through the city, and live for a couple of days with the very friendly and considerate extended family of my friend and teaching colleague.

Cebu is a wonderful city and metropolis of its own right. Metro Manila, though much larger and more diverse, is a sad comparison in terms of livability and lovability. What makes a city great is not how many people or how much economic activity it generates, but how much it makes you want to stay and explore the possibilities. I would sure like to go back someday soon.

No comments: